19 Aug 2019
January 6, 2010 - Filed under: Antiques News — Harriet

A fire in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in the USA destroyed a landmark building crammed full of antiques earlier this month. The barn had been part of the local community since being built in the 1800s. The Garten family who owned the barn and an auction company had also been storing antiques in the barn for over fifty years. When they arrived home, the barn and most of its contents was burned. The estimated damages were thought to reach $1.3m.

It was thought that many local antiques dealers and architectural historians would lament the loss of irreplaceable items of antiquity plus the barn itself which can also never be replaced. One of the pieces of antique furniture destroyed was a bench thought to date back to the 1600s. The barn was often visited by people who took a detour to see it.

Although for insurance purposes, values can be attributed to the loss, and the family concerned are grateful than no-one was hurt in the blaze, for both building and contents, there will never be their like again. Storage of antiques safely is a perennial problem. Although aesthetically the storage of antiques in a landmark building would seem to be a good marriage, the sad fact here is that it was probably unwise where both were destroyed in the blaze.

The safe storage of antique furniture is something not gone into lightly. Antique furniture dealerships in Preston, Lancashire and London will be able to advise buyers on particular aspects of safe storage.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Copyright © 2014 by Christian Davies Antiques Ltd RSS Feed | Sitemap | XML Sitemap | Authors
Copyright 2016 by Christian Davies Antiques Ltd
  
Website Template Design by Whalley Websites | SEO by Engage Web